My Twist on a Drink for Coughs and Colds
If you’re like me then you may feel a lot of the over-the-counter remedies for coughs and colds are pretty expensive for what they achieve. An age old remedy for a cough is honey and cider vinegar. It is also said to help with arthritis, nasal congestion, fatigue and hay fever.
In the past I’ve experimented with different (claimed) aids for coughs and the common cold and I’ve found the following twist on a classic to work the best. Why not give it a try? It’s a lot cheaper per portion than pre-made solutions you can find in the shops, takes very little time to prepare and I feel it works just as well if not better.
Fiery Honey and Cider Vinegar Drink
Recipe by Dan Williams at www.dwilliams.xyz (formerly www.wightrunner.com)
Total time: 4 mins
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 2 mins
Yield: 1 serving (mug)
- 2 tsp Honey
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp Glycerin
- Cayenne Pepper
- 250ml just boiled water
Boil enough water for however many mugs of this drink you are making.
Whilst the water is boiling place the Honey, Apple Cider Vinegar, Glycerin and Cayenne Pepper in a medium sized mug.
When the water has boiled pour it in the mug containing the ingredients.
Stir the mixture until the ingredients have dissolved.
Taste it, careful it will be hot, and add more Cayenne Pepper if you dare.
Allow the mixture to cool a little before drinking it or add a splash of cold water. Take no more than 3 servings per day (based on Glycerin recommendations).
Why these ingredients?
- Apple Cider Vinegar contains essential minerals including potassium, which is said to help with breaking down mucous and phlegm, and eases sinus troubles. The acidity of cider vinegar may help with the body’s alkaline shift during colds.
- Honey soothes a sore throat and is claimed to contain health beneficial enzymes. If you suffer from hay fever try a locally produced honey in this brew as it may help ease those symptoms too.
- Glycerin helps to coat the throat and to relieve soreness.
- Cayenne Pepper is a natural anti-inflammatory, increases blood circulation (which helps nutrient delivery), can help shift mucus. If you use enough you’ll also warm up quickly, get a sweat on and generally feel better.